Monday, April 11, 2011

Never Let Me Go

"It had never occurred to me that our lives, so closely interwoven, could unravel with such speed. If I'd known, maybe I'd have kept tighter hold of them."


Honestly, I discovered this movie when I researched 'Charlie Rowe' on IMDb and found out that he was in the movie playing as the Young Tommy. So I decided to watch the movie.

Before I watched it, I thought the movie was about another common love story. Well, it is. But the main focus is deeper than that. WARNING: The paragraphs after this might contain spoiler. So stop reading if you don't want me to spoil the story :)

The movie begins with a boarding school as the background. The main characters, Kathy (Carrey Mulligan), Tommy (Andrew Garfield) and Ruth (Keira Knightley) were also students of this boarding school. The school itself was different from any other normal school. In the school, the kids were mostly taught arts and sports. The school was pretty strict. The kids were strongly forbidden to cross the fence. They were told about some terrifying stories about children crossing the lines. They had no idea why they were in that school. Then, they found out that they were actually clones. They were created so that they would donor their vital organs to the 'originals' (aka the real human). 

The story plot was about Kathy fell in love with Tommy, the boy who was bullied in school. At first, Kathy befriend with Tommy, because she felt sorry for him. But then she found out that Tommy is her first...and ever love. However, Ruth, who was secretly also had a feeling with Tommy, took him from Kathy. Ruth and Tommy were together then.

When they were all grown up, they had to donor their organs. All the clones would eventually dying. Ruth was the first. Once said that if they were two clones that can prove that they're falling in love with each other, and it was a true love, they would not have to donor their vital organs anymore. They were told that they have to make artistic works to show their love and for people to look into their souls. However, the most heartbreaking line is that the artworks were intended "to see if you (the clones) have souls at all".

The message that I could take from this movie is that these experiments actually have the rights to be free. The rights to protect their own body. The rights to live their life. It was such a heartbreaking yet meaningful movie. Recommended.

P.S. Charlie Rowe has all grown up <3

No comments:

Post a Comment