Monday, October 10, 2011

Movie Review: Real Steel

C H A M P I O N S   A R E N ' T   B O R N.   T H E Y ' R E   M A D E.

"I want you to fight for me. That's all I've ever wanted."

The only 2011 movie that made me cry four times when I watch it. Literally. So far, at least.

If only I could scream and give an applause in a cinema, I'd do it for Real Steel. I knew that this movie would be a great one. I've seen the trailer back in July, and I could not wait to see the movie. 

I'd recommend this movie for all people. I'd give 5 out of 5 stars. The story, the acting and the visual effects are just mesmerizing. I'll explain my opinions about the movie. I'm just excited to talk about it.

(Paragraphs after this contain spoiler)


Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) used to be a boxer when he was younger. He gave it up and move to boxing robot. Unexpectedly, he has to take care of his son from his ex-girlfriend. Charlie never met his son before and so did Max (Dakota Goyo). Everything was stressful at the beginning, because Charlie never had a real family and his life is not appropriate to raise a kid. Charlie and Max had a lot of fights - both of them are stubborn. Charlie often take Max to the boxing robot tournaments. Max is really interested and thinking it as a video game. As time goes by, Max became dependent on Charlie and vice versa.

Max and Charlie have a lot of different views and decisions. Charlie is more a realistic person, he used his logic most of the time. He doesn't take chances that he thinks is impossible or hard to achieve. Whereas Max is a type of brave kid - his imagination is high and he doesn't use his logic much so often he make decisions that make Charlie backs off. He always believe that he can do it, he doesn't think too much. 
These two people - the father and the son - reflect how adults and kids in real life. 

Adults often be more careful with decisions. They think a lot before they act. They have many considerations before making decisions. They often avoid things that seem impossible, so that they can save themselves. I don't say that this is a bad thing, because it's true that we have to think before act. If not, things would be messed up and won't go the way we want it. However it's also not really a good thing, because it limits the possibility of getting the victory. It prevents you to experience the extraordinary.

Whereas children, well kids... They always think that everything would be alright, especially those kids who are over-brave. They do not think about the risks. Maybe they just want to play, to have fun. This is caused by their pure imagination. They're living in a fairytale. Again, this is neither a good nor bad thing. It's bad in one side because it's dangerous if someone does something without making considerations, especially if it's a crucial thing (e.g. Max bet for $1000). However, I take the bravery as a good thing. If you're brave, you'd learn and experience new things. With your imagination, you can transform the impossible to possible.

I'd say, we have to take lessons from these two people and apply it in real life. So we have think before act, but we have to be brave to take the risks.
It's a really heartwarming family movie. A man who doesn't want a kid in his life, suddenly becoming a father. We all know that Hugh Jackman is such a brilliant actor. But Dakota Goyo? He's so talented, funny and sweet. 

I was reaaally into the movie. There was a boxing scene in the end, and I felt like I was watching it live. I went oooh and dropped my jaw if there's an unbelievable act. My friend even wanted to scream out, literally. We enjoy the movie so much, and felt so excited. You won't understand.

1 comment:

  1. agree!!! bagus banget film ini, mengahrukan TT^TT

    tapi yang aku tunggu2 ngga muncul: kisah masa lalunya Charlie sama Mamanya Max

    ReplyDelete